Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Restaurant: Babaloo International Café & Bar

Restaurant: Babaloo International Café & Bar
http://www.babaloocafe.net/

My son and I stumbled upon the Babaloo restaurant this afternoon while about the neighborhood. It was the perfect scenario. We arrived, decidedly before the dinner crowd and were the only customers in the restaurant and thus had the full run of the place—which Rhys enjoyed. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. We shared a wonderful array of tapas. My son had the gourmet sliders with mixed fries (potato and sweet potato), with southwest eggrolls and I had the sautéed calamari and a salad. If I’d known, at the time of ordering, that I was going to start a foodie blog tonight I would have chosen something more elaborate.

Food
The calamari was good, a little bland but since I cannot think of anything I would have done –short of frying it– to change that I can’t really make it a downside. The rings were fresh and served in a red sauce with a lemon wedge. The simple dish was both delicate and gratifying without being too much of either. Balance. From the first bite, it was obvious that a very skilled person was at the helm of their kitchen. I cannot wait to try a more challenging dish.

Rhys (9) enjoyed his meal tremendously –so much so that he sang a little song after biting into his first slider. Although, at first glance, I wouldn’t frame Babaloo as a place for young kids I was pleasantly surprised by the kid-friendly staff.

Creativity
The menu stayed true to its international themed roots with stables that unapologetically crossed borders and fused tastes. It is a shame that my first review is so filled with regret but I look forward to digging deeper into Babaloo's offerings and finding an unsuspecting gem on the menu. I will revisit the restaurant and follow-up with a more in-depth review in a few weeks.

-Astrya

No comments: